Thursday, June 28, 2012

Pence Compares Obamacare Decision To 9/11 Terrorist Attacks

Republican gubernatorial candidate Mike Pence is quickly backtracking on a comment he made to colleagues earlier today comparing today's Supreme Court decision upholding the Affordable Care Act to the 9/11 terrorist attacks. The Star's Mary Beth Schneider has Pence's apology issued after Politico first reported on the comments he made while speaking at the House Republican Conference following today's decision:

“I made an unfortunate statement,” Pence said. “Let me just say my remarks at the Republican Conference, following the Supreme Court decision, were thoughtless.”
Pence, in a call with Indiana reporters, did not address whether he was comparing the justices to terrorists.
Instead, he said he “certainly did not intend to minimize any tragedy our nation has faced, and I apologize.”
Asked for the context of his remarks, Pence said he made the comments at the GOP meeting within an hour of the Supreme Court decision being announced.
“I had the opportunity as a former chairman of the conference to address the group. As I said, my remarks following the Supreme Court decision were thoughtless and I never intended to minimize any tragedy our nation has faced and I apologize,” he said. “I certainly did not intend to make any such comparison (of the ruling to the 9/11 terrorist attacks) but let me just say to the extent that it’s been reported, to the extent that people interpreted my remarks that way, I apologize.”
I suppose some would agree with the similarities, particularly the 9/11 Truthers who remain convinced that our own government was at least complicit, if not a participant in a false flag operation intended to seize more government control over the American people's lives. If you agree with the four justices who dissented in today's Supreme Court decision, you see today's decision as placing "liberty at peril." Be that as it may, Pence's comments will be seized upon by his critics as a further indication that he is too much of an extremist to serve as our state's governor. Indiana Democrats, meanwhile, put out a press release applauding Chief Justice John Roberts for setting aside partisanship and voting to uphold the Affordable Care Act. The executive director of the Democratic National Committee was less diplomatic in reacting to today's decision. "It's constitutional, Bitches," Patrick Gaspard tweeted. He followed up by saying that he let his excitement "get the better of me."

2 comments:

Downtown Indy said...

And at the same time, DNC 'outreach' director celebrates the SCOTUS decision with "Take that mother****ers" and barely a blip appears on the radar.

Greg Greene

Marycatherine Barton said...

Another radical move resulting from this Supreme Court decision upholding Obamacare is Congressman Louie Gohmert calling for the impeachment of Elena Kagan.