Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Allen County Councilman Responds To Allegations He Received Preferential Treatment In DUI Stop

Allen County Councilman Paul Moss tells the Fort Wayne Journal-Gazette that he did not receive preferential treatment after the newspaper reported that he refused to take a portable breath test after he was stopped on suspicion of drunk driving by an Allen County Sheriff's officer in the early morning hours with a car filled with young people. Moss placed a call on his cell phone to Sheriff Ken Fries and was later released without an arrest being made. Moss provided the following statement in an e-mail to the newspaper:

“I take my roles as father and county councilman very seriously. I was providing a safe ride home for my daughter and her friends that morning. I willingly agreed to take the more reliable test at the (Allen County “Bud” Meeks Justice Center).
“While waiting to do this, I did make a call to find out what was taking so long and if there was a way to expedite the process. I made no other requests and was granted no special treatment.
“I have tremendous faith in our law enforcement officers. If I had broken the law, they would have done their job.”
The Journal-Gazette's report noted that the county police officer who made the stop prepared no report on the incident, while the city police officer who had been contacted about conducting an alcohol test for Moss at the justice center did. After Moss spoke to Sheriff Fries, he was allowed to get a ride home rather than go to the justice center to be tested after he refused to take the portable breath test. Moss admitted that he had consumed alcohol on the night in question.

No comments: