- Wooten used a Taser on his stepson.
- He illegally shot a moose.
- He drank beer in his patrol car on one occasion.
- He told others his father-in-law would "eat a f'ing lead bullet" if he helped his daughter get an attorney for the divorce.
- A reprimand in January 2004 for negligent damage to a state vehicle.
- A January 2005 instruction after being accused of speeding, unsafe lane changes, following too closely and not using turn signals in his state vehicle.
- A June 2005 instruction regarding personal cell phone calls.
- An October 2005 suspension from work after getting a speeding ticket.
- A November 2005 memo "to clarify duty hours, tardiness and personal business during duty time."
The Anchorage Daily News reports notes that Wooten served on a SWAT-like team, which required a "cool-headed" officer to perform in crisis situations. The article makes clear that Wooten had some serious drinking problems and issues of domestic abuse towards Palin's sister. The alleged death threat against Palin's father if he hired a divorce attorney would have caused any normal person to have concerns about him serving as a state trooper. I think the Democrats are making a huge mistake if they intend to continue making Palin's alleged efforts to get this state trooper fired an issue in this campaign. As Rex Early would say, "That dog won't hunt."