Sunday, April 20, 2008

Schellinger Accuses Thompson Of Lying

Democratic gubernatorial candidate Jim Schellinger lashed out at a negative TV ad his opponent, Jill Long Thompson, began running this weekend. The ad attacks Schellinger for supporting higher property taxes to finance school construction projects which benefit his architectural firm. Calling her "a career politician," Schellinger said the allegation is untruthful. His campaign issued this statement from him:

“When Laura and I decided more than a year ago that I should run for Governor, people warned us that there are politicians who will say and do anything to get elected.

“I knew I would be running against one of those politicians in Mitch Daniels, but I’m extremely disappointed that my Democratic primary opponent would launch these kind of distorted, meritless attacks against me.

“I’m a business leader who comes from a working-class family with strong values. My parents taught me to tell the truth. We’ve taught our boys to tell the truth. Jill Long Thompson is not telling the truth.

“We don’t have time for the desperate politics of yesteryear when there are so many important issues on the table. That’s why I’ve put forth detailed plans to address those issues that matter most to Hoosier working families. I don’t believe election year pandering will solve our problems.

“For the past three years, Hoosiers have endured Washington-style leadership as Mitch Daniels has forced them to accept his agenda of privatization and his poor economic stewardship. It’s time to move beyond politics as usual. We need leadership that listens and leadership that brings us together.

“I’m not a career politician. I bring a different perspective, and I believe Hoosiers are ready for that kind of Governor.”

1 comment:

jabberdoodle said...

Funny how he doesn't really dispute Long Thompson's claim...