Approximately 35 runners from the 2013 Boston Marathon unable to finish the race because of the bombings will complete the distance Sunday at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Boston Marathon participants from Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Kentucky and Michigan will run a half mile from Turn 4 to the Yard of Bricks on the IMS oval moments before the start of the 97th Indianapolis 500, an IMS spokesman said.
The run will take place between 11:55 a.m. and noon.
All of the participants in the ceremonial run at the IMS were stopped short of the finish line April 15 in Boston after two bombs exploded.
“The tragedy last month in Boston still resonates with everyone, so we wanted to give runners the chance to finish the race in front of thousands of fans who will appreciate their persistence and determination,” said Doug Boles, IMS chief operating officer. “Everyone will remember the victims while also celebrating the strength and indomitable spirit of these special competitors as they cross the hallowed Yard of Bricks.”
IMS officials extended the invitation for runners to the Boston Athletic Association, which contacted those who didn’t finish the race in Indiana and surrounding states.In Boston today, they held a re-running of the last mile of the race for the nearly 5,000 runners who were unable to compete the marathon this year due to the unforeseen events of the date.
As part of the keeping "see something, say something" high alert awareness campaign, bomb squads were called to the Coca-Cola lot at the Speedway today to examine a suspicious device that was emanating smoke. It turned out to be commercial grade firecrackers.
Speaking of staged events, listen to one of the announcers at the Indy Light series Freedom 100 race at the IMS yesterday say the spectacularly close finish between four of the cars competing was staged. Listen at the 1:30 mark where he says, "That looks staged, Mike. Look how staged that picture looks." Maybe it was.