Tuesday, March 01, 2016

Indiana Law Blog Plans To Go Dark At End Of March

I'm sorry to hear that Marcia Oddi plans to end her Indiana Law Blog at the end of this month after 13 years of excellent service to the Indiana legal community. As a long-time blogger, I know how much time and dedication she has committed to putting out the greatest online legal source for legal practitioners in Indiana. It's worth much more to many of us who practice law than that Indiana Lawyer newspaper that multi-millionaire Mickey Maurer sends out to the legal community through some financial arrangement he has with the Indiana State Indianapolis Bar Association we support with our annual dues. It's very difficult to labor day after day to provide a service to the public and, in turn, receive so little reward for your efforts. Speaking from personal experience, I have a few loyal readers who have made donations to my blog over the years for which I'm very appreciative, but I can attest to the fact that it doesn't come close to compensating you for the value of the time and service you like to believe you're providing. It's particularly upsetting when you see how much people of means in our state and local community dump into these nonprofit organizations of dubious value and political campaigns, but who see no value in supporting the service people like Oddi and myself provide. Yet some of those people are the first to pick up the phone and give you advice on what should be researching or writing about. It's generally only the average guys and gals who are willing to support the service we provide in filling a gap sorely missing from traditional news reporting services. I thank Oddi for her many years of service and can't express how much I will miss the legal news she has brought us all of these years, particularly the outstanding way she has shined light on the selection process of trial court judges and members of the Court of Appeals and Supreme Court.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always wondered how much of my bar dues went to put out Maurer's rag. I get tired of reading about the same schmucks all the time. Who died and made him God?

IndyF said...

How does one donate to this blog?

Gary R. Welsh said...

The information is posted on the top left column. You can click on and donate through PayPal, or send donations directly to me.

Anonymous said...

She's threatened to leave before if she doesn't get more financial support...something tells me there will again be a "last minute anonymous donor."

Greg Bowes said...

Indy F: You may donate to Indiana Law Blog at http://indianalawblog.com/documents/ILB%20Supporter%20Agreement.html. I think it may be too late to save the blog, unless you have a massive donation. She already begged for help twice in the last three months. Of course, Gary still needs help.

Anonymous said...

Gary, the people with the $$$ don't want to donate to you because they CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH. You dish it out and they wouldn't like that.

Signed a loyal, and donating, reader. (I know you lurker's are out there - find it in your heart, and wallet, to support Gary!)

Anonymous said...

Gary:

Is there any chance you could be a blogger/columnist for a newspaper on the make like the Greenwood Daily Journal? If they cranked up Marion County coverage, they could make a killing.

Is there no press outlet in Indiana willing to tell the truth? Could you be an Indianapolis Bureau for a paper in a distant part of the state? I'm surprised nobody has gobbled you up.

Anonymous said...

Can you hook up with the Alex Jones crew?

Alex Jones just got legitimized as mainstream and trustworthy news by the recent X-Files relaunch.

Anonymous said...

All due respect, Gary, but you are no Marcia Oddi. She could tell you that the arrangement with Maurer is through the Indianapolis Bar Association, not the state bar. A correction is needed.

Gary R. Welsh said...

It has been noted, anon. 10:44. And I've never pretended to be Marcia Oddi, but thanks for stopping by.

Aaron said...

I know that I find a tremendous value in Mr. Welsh's work, I am not a republican but I am a huge fan of Advance Indiana. Gary has the establishment in both party's scarred. I am sure he has really put himself out on a line and it's our duty as readers to help support Advance Indiana. This blog is one of the last great bastion of the free press and it is OUR DUTY as readers to support Gary. If a father of two can make a small donation, $15.00, I know each of your can find some room in your budget to send some support to Gary to show your appreciation.

Please keep up the good work Gary!!!

Aaron Heisler
Terre Haute, Indiana.

Gary R. Welsh said...

Thanks for your kind comments, Aaron. I really appreciate your support.