"Wade Steffey's death apparently was caused by a series of tragic coincidences and unfortunate decisions."
"To get into the room, he had to climb through or over a metal railing and then drop down about five feet into the well where the door was located," Jischke said.
"At this point, we don't know whether Wade somehow opened the locked door, or whether the mechanism was defective or had inadvertently been left unlocked. We're in the process of conducting a thorough investigation to get the answers to those questions.
"However, the location and nature of the door make it very clear that it is not a public entrance. It certainly is not a place that a person would or could enter accidentally under normal circumstances."
Jischke said he won't comment further on Steffey's death until after the investigation is completed and a report is issued "in a few weeks."
Of course, Jischke doesn't include in those unfortunate decisions the school's own failure to post a warning sign outside the entrance to the utility room or ensure the room was properly locked at all times.