- It has supported every tax hike that has been enacted in recent years, and it is currently lobbying for two new income tax increases to support public safety and mass transit, that if enacted, would make our local income tax rate the highest in the state.
- It has whole-heartedly supported the extension and expansion of TIF districts that now consumer nearly $120 million annually in property tax revenues to replenish slush funds the mayor uses to reward campaign contributors.
- It supported the privatization of the city's parking meters, along with the tripling of parking meter rates.
- It supported each of the successive sales of the water company that enriched a handful of people and led to the quadrupling of rates.
- It supported $200 million in subsidies for billionaire Herb Simon's Indiana Pacers, $100 million in subsidies for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and it supports construction of a taxpayer-financed $87 million soccer stadium for Turkish businessman Ersal Ozdemir.
- If that's not bad enough, it has also supported a panoply of new fees and regulations of businesses enacted by the Ballard administration.
- It supports converting public education into a private profiteering racket by using education dollars to support charter schools run by political cronies.
- It even supported taxpayer-financing of its own organization to make up for its declining membership by merging with Develop Indy, the economic development agency supported by city tax dollars. That merger effectively made it a wholly-owned subsidiary of the mayor's office. Not surprisingly, the organization is run by one of the mayor's former chief deputies.
- In short, the organization is nothing more than an extension of the downtown mafia and the interests it pursues to self-enrich an elite few at the expense of the rest of us. Paying membership fees to the Indy Chamber is biting off your nose to spite your face.
Saturday, July 05, 2014
Good News: Indy Chamber Membership Drops Nearly 20%
The IBJ is bemoaning the fact that the Greater Indianapolis Chamber of Commerce has lost nearly 20% of its membership since 2011. Business owners must finally be seeing the light and now understand that the organization is working against its interests. As I've said before on this blog, the organization exists solely to enrich members of the downtown mafia. It could care less about the interests of average business owners in this city. Here's a few reasons why: