Janie Covarrubias, whose father and two younger brothers were among those killed in 2006, told 6News' Rafael Sanchez Wednesday that she and other family members consented to the deal before learning all of the facts in the case against Desmond Turner, 31.The mishandling of this case by the prosecutor's office is just another in a string of embarrassments for Brizzi. Many Republicans are quietly hoping Brizzi opts against seeking re-election sooner rather than later so the party has some chance at salvaging the office with another viable candidate.
"I was just recently allowed to see the murder pictures and the autopsy pictures. After seeing those pictures, I don't see any reason why he should be allowed to live," she said.
Turner earlier this month waived his right to a jury trial so that the state wouldn't seek the death penalty in the case.
The Marion County Prosecutor's Office said that the deal will save the county tens of thousands of dollars and ensure Turner spends the rest of his life in prison if prosecutors win their case before the judge.
But Covarrubias called the option of life without parole ridiculous, and said that even though she had spoken out against the death penalty before, she thought it was the only option in the case.
"I was told by the prosecutors that it's hell for them to be sitting in a cell for eight hours a day. (Well) it's been hell for me for the past three years not having a father and not being able to grow up with my two youngest brothers," she said. "They're trying to get away with something horrendous that they did. They murdered seven people in cold blood."
Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Hamilton Avenue Massacre Case Blows Up On Brizzi
Marion Co. Prosecutor Carl Brizzi gleefully announced a couple of weeks ago that Desmond Turner, the man accused of executing seven family members in a home on Hamilton Avenue in 2007, had agreed to a trial by a judge facing a life sentence without parole in consideration for the prosecutor's office removing the death penalty option from the case. Brizzi noted the cost savings to the county and the support his office had in the decision from the family members of the victims. The family members are now saying something quite different. They want the death penalty imposed, and they believe Brizzi's office withheld key information in the case from them. WRTV's Rafael Sanchez reports: