Wednesday, February 17, 2016
Indianapolis Fearful It Will Lose $6.3 Million Federal Grant To Tear Down House
Apparently the U.S. Treasury Department has pulled the plug on one of those free money programs it offered to cities across America to tear down homes as part of a blight removal effort. Indianapolis received a $6.3 million grant as part of that program but the city has so far managed to tear down just a handful of homes. The City is now worried the grant money is going to be lost according to The Star. "Everyone is deathly afraid we’ll lose this funding, and this is our last shot at some of the worst of the worst homes," said City-County Councilman Jeff Miller, a board member for Renew Indianapolis, the city's non-profit land bank. "We do not want (Mayor Hogsett) to say later, no one told me we were going to lose $6 million."