Monday, May 12, 2008

Daniels Backs Costas For Attorney General

Gov. Mitch Daniels endorsed Valparaiso Mayor Jon Costas for the Attorney General nomination at next month's Indiana Republican state convention over Chief Deputy Attorney General Greg Zoeller. In a letter to state committee members, Daniels emphasized the importance of geographic balance in explaining his support for Costas:

We also have two outstanding men running for Attorney General. I have known both Valparaiso Mayor Jon Costas and Greg Zoeller for years. I like and admire them both very much. I have heard from a large number of party and civic leaders making the point that three-quarters of our 2008 ticket should not come from one geographical area, and I find I must agree. Fairness, balance, and political common sense all argue for supporting Mayor Jon Costas. I ask you to join me in doing so.


Zoeller is actually from Southern Indiana but has resided in Indianapolis for several years. According to the Howey Political Report, Daniels has also endorsed Greater Clark Schools Supt. Tony Bennett for superintendent of public instruction. Suellen Reed decided against seeking a fifth term for the post.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Costas has to be an improvement over the current AG. We have nowhere to go but up.

tm said...

I received a call from my friend who had talked with Mr. John. They were amazed at his attitude to tell them how to vote. I told him if he calls again he should ask if he is same guy who bullied Elrod and Ballard out of their races by steering support from them. This is fast becoming the party of negativity instead of high morals and character. I liveoutside Indianapolis and I hear that Zoeller is heavily supported around state and people are offended that Marion County thinks it controls who should be in office. Funny, Ballard and Elrod surely support Zoeller given they did their races on their own.

Gary R. Welsh said...

I've been hearing all these rumors, tm, but I'm a delegate and I've not heard a peep from anyone asking me to vote a certain way.