Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Ballard Bills Me For His Re-Election

I've seen peculiar solicitations from politicians over the years, but the one I received in the mail today from Mayor Greg Ballard takes the cake. The plain white envelope came addressed to me with "STATEMENT ENCLOSED" emblazoned over my name and address. When I opened the envelope, I found a cut-off document at the top entitled "2011 Annual Support Statement", complete with a tracking code and suggested payment of $500.00 or other small denominations. Below the statement was a letter from Ballard:

I'm excited to share with you that I recently announced that I will seek a second term as Mayor of Indianapolis.

This was a very personal decision for me, Gary, but I was encouraged by the support of my wife, Winnie, and by hundreds of good people from all walks of like throughout the county who know what a difference our team has made for the city we love . . .

Can I count on you to join me again as a valued member of the Ballard campaign team in 2011?
Sorry, Greg, but I'm not feeling the love and would never make the mistake of supporting you for any elective office again, particularly Mayor of Indianapolis, after you broke virtually every campaign promise you made four years ago as a candidate. I don't need a bill sent to me for your re-election; I'm already paying dearly in higher taxes, higher water and sewer bills and higher fees. If I want a tax-and-spend liberal who runs the city as a Pay-To-Play racket for all of the city contractors making lots of money at my expense, I'll vote for someone else. In other words, don't tell me the dog's tail is wagging, explain why it's biting my hand.

3 comments:

Downtown Indy said...

I'd sooner buy a couple copies of Watchtower from the JH next time they come to the door.

The idea of making it seem like a bill that needs to be paid is pretty tacky, but don't you just love the personal touch a computerized form letter gives it?

guy77money said...

Ahh the old Readers Digest you have a bill trick. I just don't hope it goes to any elderly people that think it's a bill to be paid. There ought to be a law!

Had Enough Indy? said...

guy77 -- There ought to be a conscience.