Sunday, March 17, 2013

Driver Flees Accident After Causing Major Power Disruption Downtown

Police looking for driver who walked away from incredible car crash
Fox59 News Photo
There were two separate power outages in Indianapolis last night. The first outage happened on the city's east side and affected about 10,000 IPL customers. The second power outage affected about 1,500 IPL customers in my downtown neighborhood and happened around midnight after an apparent drunk driver traveling about 90 miles per hour the wrong way down Michigan Street, hit the curb and went airborne, cut an electrical pole in two and wound up wrapped around a tree at the intersection of East and Michigan Streets near me. It's very unusual for the power to go out in my neighborhood so I had to venture outside to see what was happening. When I saw the car pictured in the photo posted on Fox59 News' website wrapped around a tree, a street light flattened, an electrical pole cut in two and the power lines laying in the street at the intersection, I couldn't believe anyone got out alive. Witnesses told police the driver somehow managed to free himself from the car and walk away before the police could arrive. According to Fox59 News, police are still looking for the driver. IPL tried to bring the power back on to part of our neighborhood about 1:00 a.m. this morning when there was a big flash in the sky after a nearby power substation blew. I woke up about 4:00 a.m. and found all my lights and TV running. I'm not sure what time the power was restored.

No comments: