Friday, January 12, 2007

Borst Not Seeking Re-Election To Council

Marion County Republicans suffer a setback as long-time city-county councilor and Minority Leader Phil Borst announces he will not seek another term on the council where he's served for nearly 28 years. Borst's departure will leave a leadership vacuum on the Republican side. He's been seen as a moderate voice of reason among a caucus which has become increasingly dominated by the far right.

The GOP must hope to do a better job recruiting candidates for this year's council races than it did in the election four years ago. And remember guys, please look beyond the ranks of people holding public jobs. We need more candidates who aren't dependent on a government paycheck for their survival. AI understands that the GOP will hold its slating convention for mayor and the city-county council races on February 10, 2007, at 9:00 a.m. at the State Fairgrounds Exhibition Hall. Candidates can file their declaration of candidacies starting January 23 but no later than noon on February 23.

Incidentally, I checked both the state Election Division's website and the Marion County Clerk's website, and there is absolutely no information posted for the public about this year's municipal elections. God forbid we alert people about the procedures and deadlines for filing to become a candidate for any of these offices.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the homophobic statements he made to me while I was lobbying for passage of the human rights ordinance, and his stanch opposition to including the LGBT community in the non-discrimination ordinance, I'd definitely say he's not a "moderate" but rather right-wing. When I used to work at a veterinarian hospital that sent me to Borst's vet clinic often. I was often warned not to "act gay" or "say anything liberal" around him or he'd complain to the boss and ask that I not be allowed to service his clinic. It had already happened before...

Anonymous said...

"Incidentally, I checked both the state Election Division's website and the Marion County Clerk's website, and there is absolutely no information posted for the public about this year's municipal elections. God forbid we alert people about the procedures and deadlines for filing to become a candidate for any of these offices."

Ain't that a shame! That really riles my blood!

I think your right, losing Borst will add to the further loss of ground in Marion County by the GOP. Even a staunch Republican haven like Wayne Township was lost to the Democrats.

I can't imagine who the Republicans could field for Mayor that would have a chance to beat Peterson.

Do you think Borst is planning a run for mayor in '08?

Anonymous said...

Do you think Borst is planning a run for mayor in '08?

Wouldn't bother me a bit to see that happen.

AI - the info is there, I found it on the State site but you have to dig even deeper than Wilson digs in dumpsters to find it. I found the state listing for the important dates for 2007 and the forms you fill out. It should be easier to find even for us net eggspurts.

What irks me is nobody at the county GOP HQ is updating their website to let anyone know about township meetings.

Gary R. Welsh said...

Sir Hailstone, Thanks. It may as well not be there if there isn't information on the first page with links. There should be a special announcement calling attention to the election.

Wilson46201 said...

What most folk dont realize is how simple it is to run for office in Indiana: simply fill out a short form - no filing fee or signature gatherings needed. If you spend any money you have to have a finance report - those laws can be intimidating but the essence is simple for "cheap" campaigns. You do have to live in the area you are attempting to represent (except for Congress).

Just coz your name is on the ballot dont mean you are going to win - that's where the hard work and politicking takes place! Council districts are small enough to work each household in person.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure it's a typo above, but if Mr. Borst plans to run for mayor in 08, he'll do so alone.

I was very distressed to hear Bil's recitations above, too. I have known Dr. Borst well, and altho we differ politically, he has bene nothing but courteous to me.

But I believe Bil's story. And it sickens me. If that's his true MO, he needs to be out of public service.

Anonymous said...

My partner and I have taken our dog to Shelby Clinic on several occasions. Dr. Borst never acted like he had a problem with us and he had to know we were a gay couple. I have to disagree anon 8:01. I don't believe Bil's story.