Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Pence Bows Out Of Senate Race

U.S. Rep. Mike Pence has decided against running for the U.S. Senate seat currently held by Sen. Evan Bayh. Pence posted the following statement on his Facebook site:

As many of you are aware, I have been approached about running for the United States Senate in 2010. Karen and I have been humbled by the outpouring of support and encouragement which we received from across Indiana, especially since there are several capable and qualified candidates already seeking the Republican nomination.

After much prayer and deliberation, I have decided to remain in the House and to seek reelection to the 6th Congressional District in 2010.

I am staying for two reasons. First because I have been given the responsibility to shape the Republican comeback as a member of the House Republican Leadership and, second, because I believe Republicans will win back the majority in the House of Representatives in 2010.

One year ago I was unanimously elected chairman of the House Republican Conference, the third ranking position in House Republican leadership. I accepted that responsibility because I believed that if Republicans returned to their conservative roots, they could win back the confidence of the American people. And I see it happening every day.

As a Republican leader, I have the opportunity to shape the policy and strategy that will return a Republican majority to the Congress in 2010. So my duty is here, in the House, serving my constituents and my colleagues as we fight to restore a conservative majority to the Congress of the United States. I am not going to leave my post when the fate of the House hangs in the balance. My place is here, in that fight, with the brave men and women who will be winning that victory for the American people.

I also am staying because I believe we will win back the majority in the House of Representatives in 2010, and I am excited to be a part of it. While the opportunity to serve in the United States Senate is significant, I believe the best chance this nation has to restore fiscal discipline, common sense and common values to Washington, D.C., is for conservatives to retake the House in 2010. When we win back the House, we will make history and we will have the power to stop the big government plans of this administration and to steer our nation to a more secure, free and prosperous future.

Last fall, Karen and I completed our first full marathon. We finished the 26.2 miles in just under seven hours despite the rigors on this 50 year-old body and despite many opportunities to step off the track and call it a day. Our inspiration for the day came from a verse in the Bible that reads, “let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.”

I believe the race marked out for me in 2010 is in the House of Representatives. I believe that if we run that race with conviction and endurance, we can win back the Congress for the common sense and the common values of the American people, turn this tide of big government back and set the stage for a boundless American future.

Thanks to you all who prayed our little family through this difficult decision. I hope that God will someday permit me to perform some wider service to the people of Indiana and the country, but for now my focus must remain on finishing the job I was elected to do by my constituents and my Republican colleagues; representing conservative values in Congress and winning back the House of Representatives.
Hat tip to Hoosier Access.

9 comments:

varangianguard said...

"First because I have been given the responsibility to shape the Republican comeback as a member of the House Republican Leadership..."

Who told him that? God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit? What a maroon.

If he's shaping the Republican comeback, the Republicans are DOOMED (as a national party of influence). (I know, I'm overstating it for hilarity's sake.)

But, since I'm intellectually interested in one of the major parties falling off the face of the earth (to make room for a Moderate Party of some kind), the Republicans are as good as any.

Carlos F. Lam said...

@varangianguard: his caucus gave him the responsibility when they voted him Conference Chair; he in no way intimated that there was some sort of divine intervention. BTW, who is more moronic, the moron or he who misspells "moron" as "maroon?"

I'm glad he's not running for US Senate and not really surprised. First, as Conference Chair he can shape the agenda if the GOP gains the net 40 seats that it needs in 2010.

Second, it's been no secret that Mike would like to run for POTUS one day. Since JFK's election, Pres. Obama's the only Senator that's been elected to that office. The rest have been governors. If Mike really wants to become POTUS, the easiest path is thru the Indiana Governor's Mansion. I wouldn't be surprised if Mike runs for Guv in '12.

Downtown Indy said...

CAFTH never watched any Warner Bros. cartoons as a kid?

Marycatherine Barton said...

It would be marvelously patriotic if the Honorable Mike Pence would lead a congressional caucus that is anti-war (anti-imperialism), anti-Wall Street (derivatives and speculation), and anti-globalism.
He has the charisma and savvy to do that, for the American people, and would then be famously praised and held in high esteem, throughout the non-psychotic world.

In this age of corporate greed, where mammom is god, as Paul Craig Roberts (who coined the term Reagonics) explains so well in his writings, since the congressman is religious, perhaps spiritual, he could find guidance and strength from the Gospels of Jesus Christ
For two names, I know Dr. Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich would stand with him in Congress, in this quest for liberty and peaced.

varangianguard said...

Catholics Allied for Faith,

I'll admit that your first criticism was inference on my part, that after "much prayer and deliberation" means that he thinks somebody upstairs wants him to stay in the House.

If it were merely the result of the caucus vote, I would have to assume that he could possibly have left out the part about "much prayer". For the rest, I think I'll just leave it at that.

Now, for your second criticism, I see that you've never followed Bugs Bunny. "What a maroon!" was one of his more famous quotations. Since you just seem to lack a broad-based perspective, perhaps you should refrain from labeling people without thinking about what that kind of behavior makes you yourself look like, eh?

M Theory said...

I think I could trust Pence as governor.

I was very proud of Pence when he was one of the first reps to stand up to Bush's bailout.

Concerned Taxpayer said...

I know you may find this impossible to believe, varang, but there are MANY people in this country who still believe in GOD and ask for His guidance on many matters.
It's liberals who think they can do anything they want as long as it "makes them feel good."

Covenant60 said...

He didnt pray hard enough...

The signs from God were all there.....

He is going to be soooo jealous of Sens Brown, Rubio, Hostlettloer (or Stutzman), etc etc.

Carlos F. Lam said...

@Marycatherine: you forget to mention anti-central banking. Mike is a co-sponsor of HR 1207, which would subject the Federal Reserve to GAO audits.

@varangianguard: Concerned Taxpayer is correct. Even if the GOP House Caucus put their trust in him, what's wrong with Mike praying for wisdom as to what to do?

BTW, it's been